Sunday, April 17, 2005

Getting Started

Here's the deal: I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God. But I want to, and I'm looking for proof. But, more than I want proof and belief, I want truth.

A good friend and trusted advisor of mine recently defined truth as Absolute.

A philosopher who I admire and agree with greatly has said "A is A" and "contradictions cannot exist."

My friend is a devout Christian.
The philosopher was an unwavering Atheist.

But on the nature of truth, they agree. When it comes to the question of a god, they have found a different belief in truth. One of them may have the real truth. If so, then the other does not. It is also possible (even probable) that neither of them do.

I started out by keeping a journal (only one entry so far), in writing. But I read something today that brought me a step closer to a decision. I'm going to write here as often as I feel the need to put down my thoughts on this subject. Today, I'm writing two or three posts. I'm interested in comments from anyone who stumbles across this blog, atheist or theist. I don't care what your beliefs are, what religion you follow or don't follow. The only thing I ask for is respect. This is a very personal journey for me, as it is to every thinking person who embarks on it. Respect my (and other's) beliefs and conundrums. Argue points, but do so respectfully.

I believe we all want to know the right answers to the question of a god, the soul, of eternal redemption. So, if you want to throw your two cents in, go ahead. But be open to my thoughts and the thoughts of others.

I'll quote scripture when it needs to be quoted. This is my diary and my journal. I hope someone else finds my mental ramblings useful.

The next post will be a word for word transcription of the notes in my journal to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home